Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Grandma Sylvia Goes Bananas: Cranberry-Banana Relish Recipe

My grandmother Sylvia was a great Jewish-style cook. As I fill this blog with content, you will read a lot about her, as well as the other wonderful cooks who are family and friends.

What brought my grandmother to mind at this very moment was the over-ripe banana I just ate.

They're mushy and too sweet (which is why I like them). The problem is what to do with bananas when they get this way. You don't want to throw them out. And they're a mess to eat.

Grandma Sylvia figured out a solution.

1. Peel an over-ripe banana and put it into a ricer. Then add a can of jellied cranberry sauce.

2. Turn the handle to mix the two into a jelly and serve.

Easy, capeasy.

Grandma used this for desert. I put it on the Thanksgiving table next to the the turkey.

Do you have any quick-fix recipes like this you'd like to share? Post them here for all five of my followers to read. (And please share my blog's URL so I can get more readers.)

1 comment:

  1. I like to freeze my over-ripe bananas and put them into shakes.

    ReplyDelete