Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Barbecue Obsession

I love barbecue any time of the year. When I can’t be in front of my grill, I go to some terrific barbecue restaurants—and NYC has a huge selection.

Last week, for instance, on Halloween night we had barbecue with our next-door neighbors and good friends Karin and Harvey. While the ladies served the trick-or-treaters, Harvey and I drove to Dinosaur Barbecue (www.dinosaurbarbque.com) on West 131st St, just off the West Side Highway, next to Fairway. We brought back their family sampler with ribs, chicken, pulled pork and various deliciously flavored and overly buttered sides. We also got wings—mild honey wings for Terri (my wife) and hot Wango Tango wings for Harvey and Karin.

Whenever we take our girls (spectacular Sofie the senior and Kira, the fashionista frosh) to theatre in the city, we go to Virgils Barbecue (www.virgilsbbq.com) on West 44th Street. My favorite dish is the brisket sandwich. (On a tangent…I make a wicked bbq brisket. I promise to post the recipe the next time I make it.)

About two weeks ago I was working late. As I dashed through Grand Central Station to my train, I made a quick pit stop at Brother Jimmy’s (www.brotherjimmys.com) on the lower level. I ordered a pulled chicken wrap with bacon and melted cheese to go. So good! They recommended the mac & cheese side dish. For me, m&c is comfort food, so I ordered it and was not disappointed. There was too much food for an on-the-go meal, but it made for some great leftovers. There are several Brother Jimmy’s locations throughout the city, which can be found on their website.

Speaking of mac & cheese, the best in the city, in my opinion, is served at Danny Meyer’s bbq restaurant, Blue Smoke (www.bluesmoke.com). It’s pure velvet. I notice from their website that their sides are available for T-giving take-out. If you’re looking for a night out, Blue Smoke serves hot spicy bbq upstairs and cool jazz downstairs.

One last favorite is Dukes (www.dukesnyc.com). There’s one on 3rd Ave and 37th St, and one on E. 19th St. I’ve been to both, and prefer the one on 3rd Ave because it’s bigger (and noisier). Their mac & cheese it great, as are their sandwiches. My favorites are the Old Kentucky Club (grilled chicken, avocado, crispy bacon, melted swiss, lettuce, tomato and Russian dressing on a sesame bun), Carolina pulled port, Kansas City Special (bbq brisket) and the “Route 66” (turkey, bacon, Monterey jack, Russian dressing and cole slaw.)

Do you have a favorite bbq restaurant or dish? Post it here for all my readers.

2 comments:

  1. I miss the old Wiley's on First Ave. Hated the wait for a table. The ribs were pretty damned good (not great), but the slab of babybacks was friggin' big. And none of the "falls off the bone" wimpy ribs -good old fashion BBQ sauce all over your hands and face ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Blue Smoke on 27th bw Park and Lex...kind of bougie for a BBQ spot, but they have ammmaaazzzing Sweet Potato Fries with some kind of maple dipping sauce!! And Warm BBQ chips with Blue Cheese Dressing....ummm....does it get any better?!?

    ReplyDelete