Monday, September 20, 2010

Famine and Feast

I know this blog is about food, but today I'm going to write about fasting.

This past weekend was Yom Kippur. I spent Saturday September 18th repenting by not eating, which is not fun. But the Break-the-Fast meal is always a blast. My niece Sydney thinks it's the best meal of the year.

This year we went to my sister Fran's studio apartment in Manhattan. Fran is an amazing cook, but her studio has a very small kitchen that can fit one and half people. (How do you fit half a person in a kitchen, you may be wondering. Someone is in the kitchen, the other person is in the doorway shuttling plates and bowls to the table, is the answer.)

Fran served requisite fare, and most of it was carbs. Rye bread and bagels, cream cheese, lox, herring, tuna salad, egg salad. Usually there's a kugel, but not this year.

We couldn't show up empty handed, so I made a blintz souffle. I think it was my grandmother's recipe, or maybe it was Fran's mother in-laws' recipe. No matter what, it was super delicious. Here's how to make it.

Old-Fashioned Blintz Souffle

What to buy
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 packages of frozen cheese-filled blintzes (6 per package)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 c OJ
- 1/4 sugar

How to prepare it
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Melt 1/2 stick of butter in 9 x 13 baking pan

3. In blender beat eggs, sour cream, OJ and sugar

3. Lay frozen blintzes in melted butter crosswise. Pour blended mixture over blintzes.

4. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve immediately.

This was so good, I think I'll make it for Christmas breakfast this year. Now how's that for mixing things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment